SQL Server Database Administrator
Are you looking for a dynamic opportunity? Do you dream of leading and growing with a company that is committed to being on the cutting edge of technology? Then look no further; Art Van Furniture, the Midwest’s largest Furniture and Mattress retailer, is seeking a SQL Server Database Administrator in the Finance Department.
You may be asking yourself, what competencies would we be looking for in a SQL Server Database Administrator? Well, we are glad you asked! In this position, directly reporting to the Senior Vice President of Analytics, you will assist with administering and troubleshooting the production, test, and development of the SQL environment to support deployment, availability, growth, and upgrades. Work closely with internal stakeholders and a team of engineers, architects, and thought leaders to design, build, and implement next-generation solutions in advanced analytics, big data, business intelligence, and the cloud. Develop database scripts, stored procedure, triggers, functions, and SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) packages. Responsible for back end processes to support systems integration and ETL to facilitate the creation and population of enterprise data warehouses. Other responsibilities include:
- Database administration and maintenance of our primary databases and the SQL environment.
- Install, monitor, and support SQL High Availability and Disaster Recovery Solutions, as well as SQL server instances including various SQL components, i.e. SQL Server Integrations Services, Reporting Services, and Analysis Services (SSIS, SSRS, and SSAS).
- database migration to new servers and user administration.
- Support client application installations.
- Create new databases and overwrite Test databases with copies of Production databases.
- Backup/recover/rollback production, test, and development databases.
- Develop backup procedures for daily execution by IT/Development Operations.
- Conduct a health check of the database regularly.
- Troubleshoot and support existing database processes; deliver fixes and optimizations where appropriate.
- Analyze, tune, and document schema and queries.
- Monitor for database exceptions.
- Manage any database schema evolutions required.
- Develop arching scripts to prune live data.
- Develop ETL environment for data mining.
- Architect, design, configure, and deploy next generation of the database system.
- Coordinate/implement production fixes, or advise the application owner/administrator/developer as appropriate.
- Monitor and manage data storage capacity of production and test/development SQL servers to support databases growth; coordinate drive expansions with Operations and Change Management Team.
- Complete and maintain inventory documentation of all SQL databases at the data center and cloud.
- Applies corporate values (PARTNERS).
Skills / Requirements
The position requires the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology or related field; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Experience with database performance tuning
- Database server, storage & network systems lifecycle administration
- Database clustering architecture & administration
- Scripting alerts and controls for database system monitoring agents
- Solid understanding of the Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC)
- Ability to provide high confidence estimate for design change or solution implementation
- Strong communicator that is able to change the communication style based upon the audience
- Strong understanding of data and analytics solution architecture, including experience with Big Data, Relational databases, streaming and batch data processing,
- A solid understanding and experience of the principles and operations of high volume, variety and velocity business intelligence, data warehousing, reporting and analytics platforms with a proven background and record in architecture and implementation of applications, integrating with OLTP and 3rd party systems
- Demonstrated track record of leading within complex organizations requiring strong influence management skills - ability to work cooperatively at all levels in matrix environment
- Exceptional collaboration, listening, written and verbal communication skills with ability to facilitate technology strategy, requirements and architecture conversations with all stakeholders (management, business users, and technology resources)
- Proven ability to prioritize, self-direct and execute at velocity
- Knowledge of AS400 and Mulesoft a plus
- Passion to deliver craftsman-quality work both individually and as part of a team
- Desire to learn new skills and grow competencies
- Excellent mathematical capabilities with an educational background in a meaningful discipline such as Mathematics, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science
- Creative thinking and problem-solving
- Sharp attention to detail and a knack for ensuring quality
- Ready to be part of a distributed team; ambitious, can work independently as well as with a tight-knit team and possess interpersonal skills
- 5+ years of database administration experience including modifying existings databases and database migration services.
- Extensive data architecture experience
- A solid understanding of (platform, software and/or data) engineering, preferable hands-on
- Excellent SQL skills
- Experience with leading enterprise cloud/virtual architectures like Microsoft Azure, Open Stack, JIE, Snowflake, etc.
- Preferably experience with Azure data services and architectures: Azure Data Platform including Azure SQL Data Warehouse, Azure SQL Database, Azure Databricks, Azure Data Lake, Azure Data Factory, Azure Analysis Services
Art Van offers a competitive salary combined with an excellent benefits package. Interested applicants can apply on-line on our website at jobs.artvan.com. Learn more about Art Van by viewing our company video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zbH9Ynfp0Q&feature=youtu.be.
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3832