Director of Transportation
Art Van Furniture, the Midwest’s largest Furniture and Mattress retailer, is seeking a Director of Transportation to join our Distribution team. We are looking for a Director with extensive knowledge and experience in freight procurement, logistics, trade compliance, business management and systems. Along with extensive knowledge of third party international transportation management systems (ITMS), domestic transportation systems as well as global trade systems. The Director will be responsible for the following Key Results:
- Lead the inbound and outbound logistics teams in support of movement of inventory from vendors to distribution centers, distribution centers to stores and support of e-commerce shipping strategies and execution.
- Lead the international logistics and compliance groups (both US Customs & Border) which encompasses purchasing of international logistics services, U.S. Customs compliance and collaboration between Merchandising, Inventory Planning, Distribution and other internal departments for better compliance and logistics performance.
- Negotiate logistics services contracts and pricing agreements with providers in various transportation modes, including parcel, LTL, TL, Ocean and global forwarding and customs brokerage services to meet budgetary goals along with service metrics.
- Responsible for developing and enforcing standard operating procedures to comply with all local, state and federal regulations related to shipments and transportation.
- Build relationships with carriers, vendors, & internal associates, and helps resolve any freight and logistics problems that may arise.
- Specializes in Domestic and International supply chain experience, inbound/outbound transportation, logistics and transportation procurement, import and export compliance, sourcing and business development.
- Responsible for developing and maintaining freight budgets to support the business needs of the organization
- Determine metrics for critical events in logistics supply chain.
- Direct Outbound Store Deliveries for fleet and dedicated carriers/contract carriers and coordinates backhauls for freight savings.
- Maintain excellent customer service relationships with all stores, corporate personnel, outside vendors, carriers and internal DC team members and managers.
- Establish carrier performance standards and audits delivery performance for international logistics business partners.
- Ensure both C-TPAT and ISA programs are in compliance and develops necessary internal and external training in support thereof.
- Review and analyze incoming orders, available capacity, current lead times, and competitive lead times to determine direction for any required capacity adjustment.
- Utilize performance management tools and transportation management systems to calculate metrics, freight spend and savings, and other supply chain improvements.
- Maintain knowledge of freight tariffs, classifications and discounts for successful negotiations
- Ensures all daily, weekly, and monthly reports are completed accurately and on time.
- Evaluate Store delivery schedules and general operations and recommends service improvements or development of new deliveries.
- Constantly evaluate and challenge current logistics’ practices for long term growth of both DC and stores.
- Establish department policies and procedures
Skills / Requirements
The successful candidate will possess the following skills and experiences:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field of study or equivalent years of related work experience required.
- 10+ years relevant business related work experience in the field of logistics/distribution Solid teamwork and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate within all levels of management
- Strong customer orientation and strong negotiating skills.
- PC literate with a working knowledge Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point
- Technical skills including quality programs, provider scorecards and logistics metrics.
- Knowledge of inbound, outbound freight, and international logistics in a retail DC environment.
- Knowledge of direct-to-consumer parcel freight.
- Knowledge of transportation management systems and network optimization planning.
- Be able to Problem solve.
- Financial planning and analysis, budgeting and allocation.
- Meets deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Leadership and teamwork.
- Communication - effective listening, speaking, and writing.
- Knowledge of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule, Import /Export Administration and U.S. Customs Regulations
Art Van is an equal opportunity employer offering a competitive salary combined with an excellent benefits package. If you are interested, apply on-line at: jobs.artvan.com. Learn more about Art Van by viewing our company video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zbH9Ynfp0Q&feature=youtu.be
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 3971